Your guide to name removal / resignation from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Legal Right To Resign
Write Your Resignation Letter
Membership Records Receives Your Letter
What To Do If Your Letter Is Returned
Local Ward Administrative Action? Threats? Unwanted Contact?
Process Is Taking Too Long - Stalling
Completion! Name Removed!
Sample Resignation Letter #1
Sample Resignation Letter #2
Sample Resignation Letter #3
Donate to help keep MormonResignation up and running!

Note: Dontations are done via my AvoBase, LLC. PayPal Business Account.
Copyright And Info
Website © 2005-2016

Compiled With: Caligra 1.122


What To Do If Your Letter Is Returned

Letter Returned Without Processing:

Sometimes the LDS Membership Records will return your letter to you without processing. They will claim that you need to contact your local Bishop or Stake President in order to resign.

This is completely untrue.

You do not have to contact anyone other than LDS Membership Records to resign. Legally you can resign by handing your resignation letter to any LDS Church Representative, meaning Stake President, Bishop or General Authority.

If the LDS Membership Records returns your letter to you, you now have proof that they received your original resignation letter. This is your proof that you are no longer a member of the LDS Church.

Never throw away any letter received as it is your legal proof of resignation.

If your letter is returned, make a photo-copy of your original letter and the returned letter stating you must contact your Bishop or Stake President, and mail them back again.

Mail all letters to:
Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

801-240-2053 - Phone
801-240-1565 - Fax
1-800-453-3860 ext 22053 - Toll Free
Sample Letter To Re-Request Resignation



Member Records 50 E North Temple, Room 1372 SLC UT 84150-5310

Please find attached a photo-copy of my original letter or resignation. LDS Membership Records received my letter on ______DATE______. Proof of this comes from the stamped envelope from the LDS Church Membership Records. I have kept a copy of this stamped envelope and letter as proof that you have received my official resignation.

I stopped being a member of your church on the day you received my letter. I do NOT have to contact a Bishop or Stake President. I do NOT need to contact anyone else except LDS Membership Records

Attached you will find a photocopy of my formal letter of resignation, which your office received on ______DATE______, as you can see from the stamp your office put on the letter. I have kept a copy of this stamped letter as proof that you received my resignation.

Legally my membership in the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was terminated the moment you received my resignation request.

As a non-member I am no longer subject to your rules and regulations or policies. I DO have a right to get a letter of confirmation from you that states that my name has been removed from the membership rosters of the church.

Not handling my resignation request appropriately may force me to involve an attorney.


Your signature
Your name, printed.
YOUR FULL ADDRESS- (important for them to send you back confirmation)

PLEASE NOTE: The Ex-Mormon Forums has a forum dedicated to Name Removal/Resignation. You can get instant help from those who have been through the process. Get help in having your name removed from the records of the LDS Church. Post your questions or your updates on your journey out of Mormonism. Get help with stubborn Bishops or Stake Presidents. Interact with those who have already had their names removed.
  CLICK HERE to visit the Ex-Mormon Forums.