Your guide to name removal / resignation from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Legal Right To Resign
Write Your Resignation Letter
Membership Records Receives Your Letter
What To Do If Your Letter Is Returned
Local Ward Administrative Action? Threats? Unwanted Contact?
Process Is Taking Too Long - Stalling
Completion! Name Removed!
Sample Resignation Letter #1
Sample Resignation Letter #2
Sample Resignation Letter #3
Donate to help keep MormonResignation up and running!

Note: Dontations are done via my AvoBase, LLC. PayPal Business Account.
Copyright And Info
Website © 2005-2016

Compiled With: Caligra 1.122


Write Your Resignation Letter

The first thing you need to do is write your formal "Resignation Letter". You can find links to sample letters here in this forum. This letter requests to the LDS Church Membership Records that they remove your name from the records of the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints.

Mail all letters to:
Member Records Division, LDS Church
50 E North Temple Rm 1372
SLC UT 84150-5310

801-240-2053 - Phone
801-240-1565 - Fax
1-800-453-3860 ext 22053 - Toll Free
If you and your spouse are resigning at the same time, be sure to include both of your names on the letter. If you have any children under the age of 18 and wish to have their names removed as well, simply add their names to the letter. If you have any children under the age of 8 years old (who are considered "Members Of Record" if they have been blessed in a Mormon Sacrament Meeting), simply list their names as well, otherwise they will be hounded by Mormons as they get closer to the age of baptism (age 8).

Sample letters are provided on the menu here under "Resources".

Be sure to provide FULL NAMES and BIRTH DATES of anyone resigning.

It is recommended that you have your letter notarized if it is possible. In the United States you can find a notary at any bank, and if you have an account there they will usually do it for free. You may wish to skip notarization if you have several children listed as each one must be accounted for although unable to physically sign any documents due to being minor children. As stated prior, the Church Handbook Of Instructions states that minor children must sign. Legally in the United States of America - minor children are not allowed to sign any document. I advise that any child over the age 12 but under 18 sign the document - otherwise there may be an increased delay - and demand for signatures.

It is also recommended that you send your letter using "Return Receipt" mail. With the United States Postal Service sending a letter using return receipt usually only costs a dollar or two more than regular mail. This gives you proof that the LDS Corporation has received your letter of resignation.

You do not need to send a copy of your letter to your Bishop or Stake President. Membership records will automatically send copies of your letter to your current Bishop and Stake President - even if you have moved and have never stepped foot in the local Ward house.

Never send your letter directly to the Bishop or Stake President. Always send your letter to Membership Records. You can send a copy to your Stake President and/or Bishop if you choose.

PLEASE NOTE: The Ex-Mormon Forums has a forum dedicated to Name Removal/Resignation. You can get instant help from those who have been through the process. Get help in having your name removed from the records of the LDS Church. Post your questions or your updates on your journey out of Mormonism. Get help with stubborn Bishops or Stake Presidents. Interact with those who have already had their names removed.
  CLICK HERE to visit the Ex-Mormon Forums.